Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Christian Tattoos

Christian Tattoos
Christian Tattoos
In the past two decades there has been a rise in the popularity of Christian tattoos. So, it’s only natural that people would believe that Christian tattoos are a fairly new fad. But, this is where I have to disagree and I have history to back me up on this one. There is some evidence to support the conclusion that Christian tattoos were used as early as the fourth century. And there are even transcripts from Church meetings of that period that talk about that very fact. Enough with the history, let’s take a look at the Christian tattoo in this picture. Instead of sporting a design that displays the usual religious icons such as a cross or a portrait of Jesus, this person has decided to display Christian tattoos that depict the props from sacrament rituals. This includes the holy book, a goblet of wine (representing the blood of Christ) and communal wafers (symbolic of the body of Christ). But, this Christian tattoo doesn’t only symbolize faith but is also used to honor a deceased loved one. See, the "In Remembrance" underneath the design? And I can’t think of a better use for a religious tattoo than this.


Christian Tattoos
Christian Tattoos
Now first of all you do not have to be religious to love and admire christian tattoos. The art is just beautiful and the designs I have seen are really incredible. This tattoo has the main wood cross wrapped with a serpent with two smaller crosses in the background. The details are amazing and the artist I am sure is proud of their work. I know a lot of Christian rock groups that have a lot of christian tattoos displayed all over their bodies, their guitars, and I can’t forget their cars and buses. I have not seen a lot of christian tattoos that have much color blended into them.

I guess the artists are trying to keep it as real as some of the pictures you see in old religious books. I have seen only a few christian tattoos that utilize the picture of Christ on it. Most contain just the crosses, serpents and sometimes the wreath of thorns. I can’t say I have ever seen one that does not move me when I look at it. I have seen a lot of Hispanic people wearing this style of tattoo, especially in the movies filmed around the Los Angeles area.

0 comments:

Post a Comment